I know TiVo is for recording "Lost" or "Entourage," but my roommate and I have stumbled upon the joys of recoding and watching "America's Ballroom Challenge" on our local PBS affiliate. It may be an affront to the glorified hedonism that DVR allows, to watch public television on it, but at least we're recording on the HD channel.
Thanks to "Dancing with the Stars," I'm sure, PBS is showing 5 episodes of that pits the best of American ballroom dancers against each other, sambaing, cha cha-ing, jiving, and waltzing in heated-- and skanky!-- competition. I have never seen more in-shape women, wearing the most slutty, spangly outfits, doing the most suggestive hip thrusts and booby shakes. I don't know what's happened to ballroom, but I do know that the best of recording tv is rewinding the show to verify that, yes, that dude wearing a spangly shirt just made motions to "tap that ass" to a tightly-coiled Russian chick wearing a nothing more than a scarf and a pair of spanky pants.
Although it's uncomfortable to see the exhibition dances with grimacing 7-year old Lolitas and already-very-gay 10 year old Korean boys, the over-sexualization of ballroom dance has generally resulted in better levels of entertainment. Just watch this clip... try seeing what happens around minute 5:44. It's too awesome for words.
Thursday, February 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment