Friday, April 18, 2008

Happy Birthday!

If you're my friend, then guess what? I've probably forgotten your birthday. It seems that I've missed a number of friends' birthdays. Out of the top 13 people I care about, I've only remembered one person's birthday on time. And that's because she reminded me the week before.

Remembering people's birthdays is one of those things that necessitates those social graces which I lack. You know, checking Facebook frequently, keeping in touch. Writing neatly in confined spaces, like greeting cards.

So, here, to all my friends, Happy Birthday. Even if you think it's untimely, belated, or half-hearted, know that there is one thing, and one thing only behind my saying it. I care about you because you are my friend.

It would, of course, be easier to remember your birthday if you lived in Los Angeles with me. Better yet, if you lived with me with me. Our French roommate quit her job and moved back to France. Move in, I'll make you some soup.

I never really expected that stuff would happen to me after I left college. I thought I was all done growing up, and that one day I would get married, then I would turn 40 and then I woud turn 70, and then I would die. That is how I saw my life.

Instead, time passes in my life, and friends have birthdays, and I'm not there, I have birthdays, and you're not there, and we kind of keep growing older and growing up. I'm so grown up, I'm resolving to not forget people's birthdays. There must be an alert for this somewhere on Facebook.

No comments: