Sunday, May 04, 2008

Cute Hunter Takes a Call



This is an 8 1/2 x 11 inch watercolor, that I now own. Cute Hunter is a steampunk-kawaii character from a comic-book and video-game artist named Scott C. The Cute Hunter hunts Cute Animals, which he stuffs and hangs on the walls of his high-ceilinged Victorian mansion. In the watercolors, he goes around pondering the globe, looking longingly out windows, taking calls, and wooing ladies.

One of my favorite places in Los Angeles is a comic-book store called Secret Headquarters. A few weeks back, they had a "gallery opening" for the Cute Hunter.

After idly previewing the painting that would be available here, I decided I wanted to look at "Cute Hunter Woos Lady" to see if it would be the first piece I would officially buy for my "art collection." My "art collection" previously comprised of a large portrait of my grandfather as a young artist (totally not joking) and an oil-crayon sketch from the 1950's of a couple at a table. Both were pilfered from my mother.

When I got to SHQ, intending to swoop in, buy my painting and leave, the place was packed with Silverlake hipsters, and I felt lame and disheveled (in an uncool way) next to the small crowed of skinny-jeaned shaggy-haired artist types, holding their bottles of Rolling Rock and cups of white wine. There was even a lanky guy with a small Moleskine notebook "casually" poking out the back pocket of his leggings-- oops, I mean jeans. He was also wearing a cardigan, and it was probably from American Apparel

I was on the phone with a friend, trying to get her to look at "Woos Lady," to see if I should take the plunge. I didn't feel cool enough or rich enough to go around casually buying watercolors in Silver Lake, and I was talking on the phone outside, nervously pacing and eyeing "Woos Lady" through the window. I was complaining about the crowd, how they were all too cool for me, when I saw Jack Black's ridiculous and smug grin amongst the sea of hipsters. I told my friend, just as she was getting a good look online at the painting, that I better go before Jack Black or one of the other hipsters bought my painting.

Just as I hung up the phone, and went to claim my painting, one of the SHQ owners peeled a small red dot sticker off its backing, to show that MY painting, "Cute Hunter Woos Lady," had been sold. To Jack Black.

So I chose another Cute Hunter instead. And I'm happy with it. I'm hanging up on my wall tomorrow. But still, "Cute Hunter Woos Lady" will always be the one that got away. As if I didn't have enough of those in my life already.

1 comment:

Barrett said...

I am sad for your lost art, but happy that your art taste has been certified by jack black