I haven't been updating because I have a new boyfriend I spend all my time with. His name is Comic Books. We do this, this, this, this and this. We mostly go here.
I've also been thinking about this video, too. You've probably seen it already, but it's really a remarkable, pitch-perfect piece of marketing.
One other thing. Does anybody else hate the bullshit commercials for Black History Month? Has anybody seen the craptacular one Coca-Cola paid for? "He is strong and fit like his ancestors, she has a flair for design." So, I guess African-American culture can be summed up by athleticism, cooking, and looking good, and wrapped in a kente cloth. It's like every corporation hires some budget creative agency, just so they can say they "care." The only positive thing about corporations paying lip service to Black America (including my own, ugh) is that it pay for wonderful programing like Henry Louis Gates, Jr's "African American Lives." Gates, Jr. is my new favorite intellectual crush. I have seen few things more touching than Chris Rock shedding a tear at learning that his great-great grand-relative fought in the Civil War with the U.S. Colored Troops, hearing for the first time that he comes from a line of people who have directly impacted US history, beyond having been slaves. What I especially like is that Gates, Jr. doesn't force a happy ending for the profiled celebrities, whose family histories he's dug up. When learning surprising truths (like Don Cheadle's ancestors being owned by the Chicawsee Nation) or asking difficult questions (what do you think it was like to learn you were free after a life of slavery), Gates, Jr. let's us linger on the celebrities' overwhelmed faces as they say, "I don't know."
Is that what race in America still is? A confused "I don't know?" The mixed-emotions that we only consider once a year in February?
Friday, February 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is a great post. It'd better not be the last.
Post a Comment