Friday, August 17, 2007

Giants suck.

Jobhunting still blows. Surprise! At least I got to see the Dodgers bitch-slap the Astros the other night.

We were sitting next to this couple on a date, and the guy bought the french fries that come in the blue plastic mini Dodger hat bowl. I was very jealous. When I went to procure some World Famous Dodger Dogs, I spent my entire 5 minutes in line asking myself over and over, "Do I even want fries? Do I even want to deign to pay the US$2 extra to have the fries in the keepsake hat bowl? Would I get fries even if there was no bowl? Are those fries worth the bowl? Will I feel disappointed having paid US$2 extra for fries I didn't even want?"

I go through this every time I go to the game, although sometimes I contemplate getting the frozen yogurt in the hat bowl. I want the bowl, but I also feel that everything associated with attending a sporting event, from the parking, to the soda, to the program, to the tickets themselves are ghastly overpriced, especially considering that the thanking of the sponsors on the jumbotron lasts longer than the Kiss Cam, and it's just so sad that Centinela Hospital and Farmer John's Hot Dogs are more important than getting to see a senior citizen couple voraciously swapping spit, hamming it up for the whole stadium.

I didn't get the fries. Almost as if out of spite.

Anyway, when the last Dodger had struck out the last Astro, that guy turned to me and said, "Do you want this?" and handed me the keepsake blue hat bowl. What luck!! He said, "You can wear it, or eat ice cream out of it, or throw it at your brother."

Which is sad in part because I think he thought I was fourteen.

I hope that I at least came off as a precocious fourteen year old, with bright future filled with bowls of ice cream and well-paid, satisfying jobs.

1 comment:

Matt Turnbull said...

Torres,

This post is clearly a jab at my allegiance to the Giants. Dodger fans can rot in hell in Chavez Ravine. Kindly,

Tbull