I love the gays like I love puppies. I think they're sweet and cute and should be protected. I know it's horribly fetishistic of me, dehumanizing, maybe. To the puppies. Just kidding.
This is what I mean. Puppies give me a warm fuzzy feeling. So does the thought of Love Conquering All. We don't live in sectarian Iraq or the Punjab, so when I think of forbidden love, I think Gays! and not a Shia/Sunni or Sikh/Pakistani combination. I love the idea that in my lifetime, a group of people will have their lives made better by obtaining basic civil rights, like the right to divorce, and pay higher taxes. Just kidding, just kidding.
In all seriousness, why am I voting No on Prop 8? Why am I taking a stand against unfair discrimination? Beyond the vague Millian* generalities of my disposition, I think it's terribly romantic. All those lovers, partners, families, whose bonds will be ensured the recognition by the state that they deserve! Onward! Upward! Fall in love, get married and love freely! The State of California should support you, my gay brethren and sisteren.
*And of course, I only make that snide reference because I recently read this. 3 guesses where that links to!**
**NO, not Mark Bittman. You've got the wrong blog in my blog empire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment