Saturday, October 11, 2008

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all my Jewish friends. And to my Jew-loving friends, too.

I did the whole fast, 25 hours, no food OR drink, for the first time ever. In the past, I ate a little, or drank water, or broke the fast 3 hours early so I could get a free tasting menu with some graciously generous family friends.

The point of the fast, and I would have to confirm this with a rabbi or chabad.org, is to suffer a little bit to atone for your sins. Oy, such suffering did I have! I knew I was being a whiner, but I sat draped on my mom's shoulder, sighing audibly with martyr-worthy displeasure. But, I've heard somewhere that not eating is also supposed to give you more time to pray and give you a chance to pray deeper and more intensely to G-d. This, I did not experience. I kept fantasizing about what was I going to break the fast with, onion soup or salmon galette?

Anyway, I'm glad I did it, and I hope G-d has sealed me and mine in the book of life for a happy and healthy year. Like most people, I am not always so sure about this G-d thing, or this religion thing. But G-d sealing our fates in the book of life, for some reason I know in my heart that it's true. Maybe it's because I believe in books in general.

The fall winds are starting again. All the tree leaves rustle, and the air is fresh. I think all lovers should have to take walks, holding hands, at dusk in October. I'll have to put it on Le Boy's to do list, right after: make me some {expletive deleted} croque messieurs! I love those croque messieurs.

L'shana tova, friends.

No comments: