I'm sure I've used that title before. It's from a Decemberists song.
Anyway, I generally feel that West Hollywood is too expensive. I have been to only one of the myriad bars that are within a 5 minutes of walking distance from me. And I only go to Red Rock because "my" dev team does happy hour there. One reason I don't go out much is that the markup on alcohol in bars just about kills me. I would never go to a bar to "meet people," so going to a bar with people I already know and spending $7 on a domestic beer is NOT preferable to staying at home and buying a six pack of foreign beer from Trader Joe's.
But, the first reason assumes the opposite of my real, second reason. I don't know anybody in LA. Well, to clarify, there are exactly two people in LA who are on my list of about 13 Favorite People I Prefer to Spend Time With. The two FPIPTSTW in LA are, however, incredibly busy, and rarely here on the weekends.
And I know I could go out and make new friends. But I don't want or need new friends. I want my far-flung friends in SF, NYC, DC, and on other continents, I want all these people to wake up, and say to themselves, "Hmm, my current life doesn't provide me with enough Mexican food and traffic on freeways. Where can I move to so I can find those things?" I imagine the FPIPTSTW would say to themselves, then, "Well there's Mexico City and Los Angeles. I guess I'll move to the one on the beach with more fake boob jobs." (I haven't been to the DF, but I am assuming there's more breast augmentation in my neck of the woods.)
Because I wish I had people I could share this city with. I don't think LA is the most magical of cities (although the pneumatic breasts and wrinkle-free foreheads do defy gravity). But it's my city, and I wish that you, yes, you, and I could go to the cheap theater in Culver City ($3.50 for Across the Universe!) and then maybe get a samosa at the Indian grocery around the corner, one very much in the "marché du coin" vein (or "chez l'arabe" if you're really French).
By the way, do you know what they call the telephone game in France? "Telephone arabe." Because I guess Arabs don't have telephones.
I have been doing some thinking here. Put it in your feed reader and stop complaining about why I keep two blogs.
Sunday, December 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
i miss you torres
"Put it in your feed reader and stop complaining about why I keep two blogs."
Done and done.
Have you heard Death Cab's "Why You'd Want to Live Here"? I first heard it in LA, after seeing Travis Morrison at the Troubadour by myself (because my brother bailed). Maybe because Ben Gibbard is so sincere, and so over the top, and because I automatically rebel against over-the-top sincerity, I loved LA a little more after "Why You'd Want to Live Here". Not that I hated it to begin with. And on the days I'm over New York (which, like a pregnant woman's contractions, come quicker and quicker), I feel the pull of the palm trees.
But that's selfish. How about YOU come to New York? Anthony has already given in.
Post a Comment